Call 630-810-8881

Lisle Child Support Attorneys

Experienced Legal Guidance for Parents in DuPage County

Every child is entitled to be supported by both of their parents. While parentage can be a very complicated issue in Illinois, the fact remains that anyone who is a legal parent has a duty to provide for their child. When a child primarily lives with one parent—and that parent does most of the work related to child care—the other parent can usually be ordered to pay child support. Child support can be ordered during divorce proceedings, or a child support case can be brought separately by an unmarried parent. While child support may, at first glance, appear to be a cut-and-dry, formulaic issue, there is a lot more nuance to it. We highly recommend being represented by an experienced child support lawyer who thoroughly understands your and your child's needs and rights.

SpyratosDavis LLC is highly strategic when making demands for child support. Our attorneys understand all the relevant factors a court can consider when determining whether child support is needed, and if so, how much. Whether you are also getting divorced or just pursuing support for your child, our attorneys will put your child's best interests first and do all we can to get them the maximum amount of support possible under the circumstances.

Child Support and Divorce

When parents get divorced, issues like child custody and child support will need to be decided before the divorce can be finalized. Understandably, issues concerning children can be emotionally fraught. Since child support is usually paid by the parent who has less parenting time, a custody and visitation schedule must generally be decided on before child support can be addressed.

Where possible, our lawyers will use alternative dispute resolution techniques like mediation to help parents resolve issues concerning their children by agreement. Resolving issues this way can protect the children from the stress of going to court. However, when an out-of-court settlement cannot be reached, our strategic attorneys are more than capable of battling for you and your child in court.

Child Support for Unmarried Parents

Children of unmarried parents certainly still have the right to receive support from both parents, and this right can be enforced in court. In some cases, paternity must be established before child support can be pursued. If you are the mother, and the father or other parent is not listed on the birth certificate, you may need to go to court to prove who the father or other parent is first.

Once both parents have been legally identified, child support can be addressed. Other necessary court orders or agreements between the parties can also be established at this time. Unmarried parents may create a parenting plan, which covers issues like custody and visitation, child support, and which parent can make certain decisions about the child's upbringing.

How Illinois Calculates Child Support

Illinois courts calculate child support based on a number of factors, which include:

  • Each parent's income
  • The number of children needing support
  • Whether the payor is obligated to support other children
  • Which parent the children spend most of their time with
  • Whether one parent receives spousal support
  • Who pays for child care
  • Who provides health insurance for the children
  • Whether the child incurs extraordinary education or extracurricular expenses

Each of these factors plays a role in the amount of support a parent may be expected to provide. Our attorneys will assess how each factor applies to your particular case. If we must argue your case before a judge, we will be highly strategic about presenting the strongest case possible on behalf of your child.

Contact a Lisle, IL Child Support Lawyer

SpyratosDavis LLC will fight for your child to receive the full amount of support they are entitled to under the law. Our committed DuPage County family law attorneys make every effort to ensure that each client's child has the most support they can get. Contact us at 630-810-8881 to schedule a confidential consultation.

badge badge badge badge badge
Back to Top